27 September 2009

"Dancey"

It's always going to be a love and hate relationship for me and "dancey" music. However, this week I decided maybe I should just stop thinking about it and share some with you.

"Dancey" (click to download)

1. Shakira - "She Wolf" [She Wolf, 2009]
2. Basement Jaxx - "Raindrops" [Scars, 2009]
3. Metric - Help Me I'm Alive [The Twelves remix]
4. Gui Boratto - No Turning Back [Take My Breath Away, 2009]

You're probably thinking, "Shakira?"
Well, why not?

The track is extremely catchy, and except for a single major flaw that a friend at Acrobatics Everyday hilariously pointed out, I'm okay with listening to it. I stumbled upon a remix Calvin Harris did of the song, but The Twelves would probably do a better job.

Speaking of The Twelves, what the hell happened to their NYC show? I saw them live in September at Webster Hall, which is a decent venue on weekdays but a major disaster on weekends. On Fridays, they have an event called "Girls & Boys", which is absolutely one of the most unfortunate things I've witnessed in the city.

Staying classy at Girls and Boys (photos via Nicky Digital)

Even worse, The Twelves didn't even come on stage until past 2 AM, which means by then most people have already dwindled or simply lying face down unconscious. I was disappointed to find the Brazilian duo in such horridness, but was still ultimately delighted by their performance. Their remixes, even at the hundredths time around, still amaze me. This one of Metric I heard first at the show.

And Basement Jaxx? Will they ever make another "Red Alert"? Probably not, but this song is pretty fun, and has autotune and other formulaic sounds hopefully featured as a future hit party tune in some club.

No comments: